In 1898, Ladies Hospital Aid Society (LHAS) began its long history of community service when 17 women met to address the pressing needs of the sick and the poor who were living in their neighborhoods. These women were also concerned with the troubles facing the immigrant population, which suffered from indigence, homelessness, and a lack of adequate medical care. Referring to themselves as the Hebrew Ladies Hospital Aid Society, this group set membership dues at 10 cents a week and made arrangements with existing hospitals to pay ward rates for patients admitted under their auspices.
LHAS continued to prosper and among its many accomplishments was the opening of the original Montefiore Hospital in 1908, and the construction of the current site in 1929. LHAS raised more than $5,000,000 for Montefiore Hospital and initiated and funded the Follow-Me-Home program and the LHAS Ambulatory Surgical Center. In 1990, Montefiore Hospital was sold to Presbyterian Hospital, and subsequently became a part of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center system.
LHAS in turn expanded its mission and has remained responsive to changing health care needs of the entire Western Pennsylvania community. LHAS has implemented programs for the elderly and women’s health care, including the LHAS Arbor at Weinberg Village, LHAS Prevention and Early Detection Center at the Hillman Cancer Center, and the LHAS Women’s Heart Center. Fulfilling our commitment to education, LHAS has allocated thousands of dollars for college scholarship grants to financially support future health care professionals and nursing students.
Through a variety of fundraisers, LHAS is able to sustain its mission and purpose by providing educational, financial, medical, and social services to the community.
• Established in 1898, LHAS has been providing educational, financial, medical and social services to individuals and families in Western Pennsylvania for over 115 years.
• LHAS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization governed by a board of 30 volunteers.
• More than 700 members volunteer to support programs, fund-raising, and special events.
• LHAS has raised over $15,000,000 and has volunteered several million work hours since its inception.
• LHAS allocates more than $350,000 annually for research, community projects, educational seminars, and social services.
• Through social services, LHAS provides financial assistance to the indigent for ambulance rides, wigs and prosthetics, medication, lodging and medical supplies.
• LHAS has donated more than 2,500 emergency care packets to family members of patients, provided clothing and shoes to more than 200 trauma patients through our ER Trauma Closet, and to ease the emotional and nutritional needs of families of dying patients, LHAS has provided more than 1,500 comfort measure only bags.
• In 2012, LHAS partnered with The Demi Brae Cuccia Awareness Organization and has raised more than $250,000 for the LHAS Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Program.
• LHAS pledged $225,000 toward the UPMC Smart (Simulated Medical and Research Training) Unit, a multi-purpose mobile unit with the ability to provide disaster response and relief. This unit has helped provide valuable training and medical services at hundreds of events to thousands of patients.
• LHAS also provided funding to establish the LHAS Sensory Garden at Allegheny Valley School-Pittsburgh Campus, which provides a natural multi-sensory environment for individuals with mental and physical disabilities.
• LHAS helps provide support to seniors and their families throughout all of Western Pennsylvania, from renovations at Riverview Towers and LHAS Arbor at Weinberg Village, to cancer screenings at the LHAS Prevention and Early Detection Center at the Hillman Cancer Center.
• Past partners also include UPMC Center for Sports Medicine, Children’s Hospital Pediatric Plastic Surgery Division, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Magee Women’s Hospital of UPMC, The Jewish Healthcare Foundation, Thomas E. Starzl Transplant Institute, Family House, and the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine.